Recs & Ratings
'I am Digital, I am Divine' by Erin Lecount
One of my recent 'on repeat' artists is the beautiful Erin Lecount, a rising star of the industry. Pumped as fuck to see her live soon, I really enjoyed rating this one.
Thank you always,
love from eden xoxo
Tracklist
- I am Digital, I am Divine
- Marble Arch
- Sweet Fruit
- Godspeed
- Silver Spoon
title : I am Digital, I am Divine
rating ; 9.25/10
- instrumentals : 10/10
- vocals : 7/10
- theme : 10/10
- lyrics :10/10
notes :
Beautiful opening instruments and vocalising, the tone of the song shifts almost immediately as the vocals begin, and then again when the beat / bass is introduced.
The song is the definition of digital and divine blended, Erin is a creative and musical genius.
This song feels like you are clawing through a forest that sometimes cuts to a club where everyone is intoxicated and the lights are low and flashing. The overall concept and atmosphere of the song is phenomenal and original. Melodically, it is a simple piece, but that is well made up for through the complex lyrics and instrumentals.
I feel like throughout this song (and further on in the album) she talks about being 'digital' and 'divine' - both antonyms of being human or mortal - or alive, opening this narrative of a girl that feels like she does not belong. That is why the lyric "to ache is to be alive" is my favourite, and perhaps the most meaningful lyric of the song, because she sings about being anything but human, and then follows it up with the statement that "to ache is to be alive" - to hurt is to be human, and for the first time in her life, she realises that her pain is what makes her belong.
title : Marble Arch
rating : 9.5/10
- instrumentals : 9/10
- vocals : 9/10
- theme : 10/10
- lyrics :10/10
notes :
PREVIOUS SONG BLENDS RIGHT INTO THE NEXT!!
Wow I love it when artists transition their songs.
She starts it off with another signature vocalising moment, blending into the opening lyrics, and then introducing the beat and bass. Another powerful and creative metaphor, with bold and witty lyrics, and intense thundering instruments to accompany
I adore how she has chosen to conclude the piece, with the repeating line "I don't want to be cold anymore" fading into a whisper. If you have read my previous rating, you may know that I am a sucker for the double meaning lyrics, and this is one of them.
To me, it means:
"I don't want to be cold anymore"
- As in she doesn't want to feel isolated and alone anymore.
- As in she doesn't want to be cruel anymore ('hard to love")
- As in cold to the touch the metaphor she uses to describe the feeling that something about her repels love
title : Sweet Fruit
rating ; 8.75
- instrumentals : 7/10
- vocals : 8/10
- theme : 10/10
- lyrics :10/10
notes :
She talks about all the different people she needs, each person representing a different kind of help. In this narrative, she knows that she needs help, and she is desperate for it - this is her calling for it.
Priest - Salvation
Gardner - In reference to her metaphor of being a "sweet fruit"
Doctor - Physical help
Lover - Emotional help
The metaphor of being a 'Sweet fruit" could refer to feeling like a decaying or rotting fruit - fruit is often sweetest and juciest right before it starts to rot.
Throughout many of her albums she sings about religious trauma / yearning - this is one of them. She talks about being desperate to be saved, but feeling unworthy.
These particular themes resonate with me deeply, and she has put into words the feelings I could've never voiced on my own, in ways I could've never imagined.
title : Godspeed
rating : 10/10
- instrumentals : 10/10
- vocals : 10/10
- theme : 10/10
- lyrics :10/10
notes :
Definitely a piece I will annotate and analyse in the future. Immediately opening with the vocalising and bass instrumentals, classic Erin trademark.
This song is particularly important to me. It talks about the feelings that come with watching a previous partner repeat their toxic cycle with the girl after. Erin wishes "Godspeed" to the next girl, in her story and I will always and forever wish the same for the girl in mine.
The song, like most of Erin's, is powerful.
She sings in desperation:
"She's young and shes sweet, I wanna tell her one thing
"Abandon faith in everything you believe"
The song that I sing will fall on deaf ears
Getting under her skin till the day it is clear
And we sing the same song about him."
Like Erin's, my bones remain in his teeth. My suffering haunts him, and I believe she will taste the ghost of the version of myself that died at his hands.
title : Silver Spoon
rating ; 10/10
- instrumentals : 10/10
- vocals : 10/10
- theme : 10/10
- lyrics :10/10
notes :
Every beat, every lyric, strikes so deep. She talks about envying someones childhood while reflecting on and comparing it to her own, and then speaking about how the idea of children scares her because of the trauma she knows that she will pass on.
Such a creative and powerful metaphor of a person being 'fed love' from a 'silver spoon', which she further references to herself, talking about how 'the medicine goes down alright'. So many gorgeous lines that capture the feeling of watching a person who has her ideal family.
"I bet you grew up being asked how your day was"
"Grazing your knees, but the fall wasn't fatal like it was for me"
"I bet you grew up eating at the table"
"Folks leave the back gate open in case you get home late"
All of these are simple things that I recognise that I take for granted, and things that Erin sings about wishing she had.
And then the lyrics:
"We are the product of love that we do not receive".
A seemingly contradictory statement, but sensical nonetheless - we are shaped by the love that we don't grow up with and the trauma and patterns it creates, just as much as we are made by the love that we do get.
FINAL NOTES
My Ranking:
1. Silver Spoon
2. Godspeed
3. Marble Arch
4. I am Digital, I am Divine
5. Sweet Fruit
That concludes my 'I am Digital, I am Divine' Recs & Ratings entry, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to read this.
For more song or album recommendations, contact me via my contact form, Instagram, Tiktok, or email, which can all be found on my link list. Recommendations are always appreciated, and I can keep you anonymous, or shout you out.
Next on Recs & Ratings is...
Caroline Polachek's 'Desire, I Want To Turn Into You"
Recommended by my dear friend sam.
Keep your eye out for this symbol :
•၊၊||၊|။||||။၊|•
love from Eden xoxo

DAMNN THIS IS SO COOL thank you so much for this rec, i will def be giving this album a listen
ReplyDelete