Recs & Ratings
'locket' (deluxe) by Madison Beer
In honour of her recent engagement (yay!!) and also in honour of my dear friend who adores her, I decided to begin my Recs & Ratings series with Madison Beer's most recent album release 'locket'.
Tracklist
- locket theme
- yes baby
- angel wings
- for the night
- bad enough
- healthy habit
- you're still everything
- bittersweet
- complexity
- make you mine
- nothing at all
Deluxe Tracks
- lovergirl
- free
- somehow i got lucky
- locket theme - extended
title : locket theme (extended included)
rating ; 9/10
- instrumentals : 8/10
- vocals : 10/10
- theme : 10/10
- lyrics :8/10
notes :
Opening sound effects establish the theme of the song, as well as the album itself. Beautiful opening vocals blended with the swelling strings create an uplifting, ethereal atmosphere. Sad opening lyrics contrast the feel of the introduction. Her use of strings blended with modern sound effects sets the tone for the album, and for her signature vibe.
Theme of the locket, namesake of the album, portrayed through lyrics.
- holding 'memories safe in my locket
- get this off my chest
- pain on a necklace
This piece focuses heavily on establishing the feel of the album as it is literally the locket theme. The blending of strings and magical sound effects enhance and bring meaning to the lyrics. Lyrically, the song is simple but direct, however the locket motif brings much to the ranking.
A successful opening theme for the album, and easily one of my favourites.
title : yes baby
rating ; 6.5/10
- instrumentals :6/10
- vocals : 4/10
- theme : 8/10
- lyrics : 4/10
notes :
Immediately contrasts the opening theme. Dark, sexy and sensual feel. Layered instrumentals, beats and vocal effects create a club feel. Electronic drumbeats build tension. Very danceable, easy listening, makes me want to learn pole and hair flick.
Through the whole song the 'yes baby" phrase is incorporated in different phrases
- don't you want to hear me say
- I just want to hear you say
Lyrically and instrumentally it is a very simple and repetitive song, fits cleanly into the pop stereotypes, with Madison's own personal spin. Her use of specific effects sets her work apart distinctly. Pushes the theme of the song well, strays from my original first impression of the album. In this piece she isn't showing off her vocal capability, she is choosing to favour vocal effects to create the bop club vibe.
Personally, I really need to be in a particular mood to enjoy this song to its full potential. A great signature bop of hers.
title : angel wings
rating ;
- instrumentals : 8/10
- vocals : 9/10
- theme : 8/10
- lyrics : 7/10
notes :
Extends herself vocally more, her tone of voice beautifully contrasts the cunty beat, as well as the pretty damn harsh lyrics - all of these contrasting aspects slot together nicely to create that carefree unbothered feel the song has. Lyrically, it is simple, but the motif of this person being dead to her is thoroughly incorporated in the title and lyrics. I must say the vibe of the song was definitely not what I anticipated from such a whimsical title.
- angel wings
- dead to me
- rest in peace
It is very satisfying that each lyrical phrase both rhymes and are metaphors / allusions to the same thing.
I love her signature end shift - change in key and time signature, switching up the whole vibe to finish it off, One of my favourite Madison Beer flairs, and one of my all time favourite Madison Beer songs.
I also learned that the song was named by a Fan!! Very cool fact and props to the fan for such an iconic title.
title : for the night
rating ; 7.75/10
- instrumentals :9/10
- vocals :7/10
- theme : 8/10
- lyrics : 7/10
notes :
An almost eerie opening, wistful vibe, with a jazzy nearly swing type beat from the guitar. Lyrics and melody continue the swinging swaying feel.
Bass / Cello (??) type sound reminds me of Hit me Hard and Soft by Billie Eilish, I can't pinpoint what song it is in particular. I believe it may be THE DINER.
I am intrigued by the lyric 'you can take advantage of my weakness'. The way I interpret it is that she is aware that she is not in the right place or head space to be doing what I think shes talking about doing, and yet she is asking for it anyways.
The introduction of the drumbeat is well executed and very satisfying, adds a layer of depth to the song. There is a certain sexy and sensual feel to the song, like a dark lingering of sorts. The storytelling of a person that is in a dark place, but is choosing to set that aside and forget 'for the night' is well portrayed through lyrical and instrumental features.
title : bad enough
rating ; 8.25/10
- instrumentals :7/10
- vocals : 11/10
- theme : 9/10
- lyrics : 6/10
notes :
Easily of her greatest songs vocally, her higher register and belting and riffing abilities are absolutely utilised and maximised. The storytelling of knowing someone is bad, but not bad enough to let go of is extremely well portrayed through lyrics and vocal techniques. You can hear the desperation and exasperation in her voice.
Having seen her music video for this particular song, I also have an appreciation for the storytelling and creative processes of developing the video. It Also has an element of humour that brings another layer to the song every time I listen to it after seeing the video.
The shift at the bridge is one of her best by far - and the style of vocals and instrumentals is almost comparable to a musical theatre number.
Overall a fun and (even more so) challenging song to sing, she is incredible.
title : healthy habit
rating ;
- instrumentals :5/10
- vocals : 9/10
- theme : 9/10
- lyrics : 6/10
notes :
The song, like many of hers, has a dreamy dainty sound to it, brought about by her signature The comparison between loving a person and an addiction is thoughtful and well executed.
Lyrically, it is not complex - but the simple and ditzy lyrics fit the character of the story she is telling through the song. Lines like:
- "I just get bored"
- "Let a girl live"
bring a certain element of unseriousness that further characterises the piece. As well as these 'la dee da' adlibs that add personality, Madison also incorporates similes and comparisons such as:
- "Like smoking in the kitchen and romanticising you"
-"Like kissing random boys and pretending they're you"
The song sounds like a blend of daydreaming about a person and reminding yourself that it isn't good for you, and then questioning, as she does in the song, "I wonder if its worth doing it again"
Fun song to swing your feet to and sing, very dreamy.
title : you're still everything
rating ; 10/10
- instrumentals : 10/10
- vocals :10/10
- theme : 10/10
- lyrics : 10/10
notes :
One of the most perfect songs written by Madison or by anyone, and my personal favourite from locket and from her discography. The repeated rhetorical question she sings like a plea - "how am I nothing to you while you're still everything to me?" cuts deeper every time I hear it. It captures the emotions of an experience familiar to many - the feeling of a person meaning so much to you and feeling like you meant so little to them.
I adore the descending string sounds underneath the lyrics "only so much I can do" and "never stopped loving you" - beautiful instrumentals all round for this piece.
I feel this song very deeply and personally. It reminds me of one of the people most important to me, and the constant struggles she has endured recently. The first time I ever heard the song, she was singing it for me in the car to 'put me on the good shit' - and sang her heart (and her lungs) out, and for me that was a very pivotal moment in our friendship - where I felt that I could finally understand all of the complex feelings she was grappling with that she couldn't find the words for. (I love you) I think that is perhaps the most important power that music has - the power to say the things that words on their own can't - and Madison does that flawlessly through this song.
title : bittersweet
rating ; 10/10
- instrumentals :10/10
- vocals :10/10
- theme : 10/10
- lyrics : 10/10
notes :
Banger after banger. This ones a bit more scream out the window, scream in the mirror, scream at your ex boyfriend kind of song. Like the title suggests, it perfectly blends the bitter and the sweet elements of missing a person - cursing a person for what they did and how they made you feel, but also shrugging them off and letting it all go.
THE BRIDGE. I ASCEND. Her signature shift in the bridge is so iconic in this piece particularly.
Madison really showcases her vocals abilities in this song, through the main melody and through riffs and adlibs scattered throughout the verses.
The instrumentals are upbeat and fun, as well as dramatic and 'oomph' - staying true to both the bitter and sweet side of the experiences she is describing. It feels like the constant debate we all have with ourselves when reflecting on a person that lingers in our minds longer than they deserve to, going from 'I am healed, I don't need you/ to 'but why don't you need me anymore' (these are not lyrics, I'm just giving you the gyst). Overall, a really beautiful composition, and another one of her top songs.
title : complexity
rating :8/10
- instrumentals : 8/10
- vocals :9/10
- theme : 8/10
- lyrics : 7/10
notes :
I always love when she combines the retro electric pop beat sounds with classic strings - very Madison.
This is one of the songs of hers I feel really encapsulates her signature sound - the alien vibe vocal effects, club dancing beat, incredible vocal range, repetitive lyrics, the 'shrug you off' energy, and again, the god sent strings. Similar to the narrative of bittersweet, this song talks about the 'baggage' and 'beauties' that come with loving a person, with the overall theme of 'how can I expect you to love me when you don't even love yourself?'.
I personally really like this particular lyric, because it can be interpreted in 2 main ways.
"How can I expect you to love me when you don't even love yourself?"
As in, "I understand I need to lower my expectations of you because you need to work on yourself". A thoughtful, healthy take that displays emotional maturity and benefit of the doubt.
However, I do prefer the slightly more petty interpretation - 'How can I expect you to love me when you don't even love yourself?" as in a more "I'm not mad, just disappointed in you, you are a loser" kind of way. I feel like Madison executes both simultaneously, and it can be interpreted either way - the upbeat vibe could represent either:
"We are complex and that's okay! I am healing and I hope you learn to love yourself!"
OR
"You have no life! Of course you cant give me the love I need! Fuck you I don't need you!"
title : make you mine
rating : 7.25
- instrumentals :9/10
- vocals : 6/10
- theme : 8/10
- lyrics : 6/10
notes :
Classic Madison sexy upbeat banger, iconic. The layering of instrumentals really pull this piece together so beautifully, every section blending together nicely while still being separate to one another. Lyrically, it is simple and repetitive, but that is perfect for the song that it is. Although it is repetitive, she still manages to tweak it different each time, whether that be adding a layer of harmonies, vocal effects, or bass.
Speaking of the bass, I love how each note slides cleanly into the next.
Generally the instrumentals on this composition are very classic pop yet still entirely original, and I understand why this was one of her most popular releases.
Lyrically, I like how she goes:
"I I I" "Feel feel feel" "Lay lay lay" "Taste taste taste" and blends it with different effects at each repetition. It adds a fun dancing in your room kind of feel.
"I I I" "Feel feel feel" "Lay lay lay" "Taste taste taste" and blends it with different effects at each repetition. It adds a fun dancing in your room kind of feel.
title : nothing at all
rating : 9.75
- instrumentals :9/10
- vocals : 10/10
- theme : 10/10
- lyrics : 10/10
notes :
Genuinely such a perfect song. Another signature Madison move - flitting around the sharp and flat notes with her voice for example the fall into the lyrics: ' was bliss ' and ' that miserable' in the opening of each verse. Slips cleanly into the chorus.
The silence after the line "nothing at all" after the first chorus solidifies the really beautiful atmosphere.
I like the 'pop break' with the layered effects 'nothing at all.
I really appreciate the lyric "The higher you rise, the further that you fall" - particularly the fact she could have so easily chosen to show off her focal register with a powerful high note - but she chose to literally let the note fall on the word 'fall'. By this I mean that the run in the lyrics leading up to it sets her up nicely for a higher belt, but she strategically emphasises the fall of the moment. Very clever and very impactful.
Another beautiful string moment at the end! Layered with beautiful climbing harmonies and beneath that - you can hear a recording of sorts, with laughter and a cute little "Love u bye" at the end. The recording paired with the instrumentals created a sad, reminiscing feel, like looking back on happy memories with a new lens. One of my favourites.
title : lovergirl
rating : 10/10
- instrumentals : 10/10
- vocals : 9/10
- theme : 10/10
- lyrics : 10/10
notes :
This song perfectly captures the beauty and the heartache that comes with being a lovergirl. You can feel the love she has for being in love, as well as acknowledging how that has hurt her in the past.
overall, I feel this song propels the idea that the good outweighs the bad when it comes to love - finding the person that makes it all worth it. the chiming and swelling of the instrumentals sets the happy, ditzy 'lover' feel - it sounds like daydreaming and romanticising. The melody of the lyrics are heavily major, with a tinge of minor, which to me sounds like the 'shrug / whatever' kind of acceptance that love isn't all sunshine happiness, which I think is so beautiful, because that's what love its.
So many pop songs about being in love are so thoroughly happy that it almost sounds superficial, which sets this piece apart nicely.
This song was given a new meaning when she got engaged to the muse (happy tears).
Overall one of my favourite Madison songs of all time.
title : free
rating : 10/10
- instrumentals :10/10
- vocals :10/10
- theme : 10/10
- lyrics : 10/10
notes :
Such a powerful feminine piece. It radiates sexuality and independence and the freedom a strong woman finds in a man that can handle her.
Such a beautiful and beautifully executed theme, with instrumentals that support it flawlessly, and vocals that are just as out of this world as this song makes me feel. Madison is truly in her element in this piece, and I hope we get to see more of this side of her in the future.
The constant use of language such as "meditating" "peace" "tranquility" "breeze" "unconditionally" created the narrative of a partner that brings security - both physically and emotionally, in a way that allows her to blossom. A love all baddies yearn for, and not enough baddies find.
The instrumentals are worthy of ascending into heaven. The strings definitely take the spotlight in terms of the track, but she still utilises her classic Madison special effects.
She also uses a deep and resonant grand piano paired with her signature strings to bring that orchestra feel. The song kind of feels like being beamed up into a golden glowing mother ship of a higher species of royal and specifically matriarchal aliens. One of her best works.
title : somehow I got lucky
rating ;
- instrumentals :7/10
- vocals : 9/10
- theme : 10/10
- lyrics : 9/10
notes :
Another beautiful song made even more beautiful by the context of her story - this song being about her new fiance really just ties it all together.
This song sounds like hope and joy and love - the chiming and the swaying melody that blends each section clean into the next. Her signature strings again!!
"And when I don't know if its possible to get better, it does" is another of my favourite double meaning lyrics of hers. To me, this lyric could be either:
A reassurance to those listening in a position of suffering or heartbreak who think it will never get better
OR
Describing the way that a lover makes the best even better, and keep raising the bar.
I feel as though she has experiences both sides of this coin - being at an all time low and wondering how she could ever come back up from it, and then finding her lover that makes sure she feels better and better and better.
I personally resonate with each meaning of the lyric - having experienced feeling hopeless with the love in my life, and then finding the person that makes it better every day.
I am so happy for Madison, and for her new fiance, and for the love that he has given her, she truly deserves the world.
FINAL NOTES
My Top 3 from 'locked extended'
1. you're still everything
2. free
3. bittersweet
Honourable Mentions
4. lovergirl
5. nothing at all
6. locket theme (extended)
That concludes my 'locket extended' Recs & Ratings entry, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to read this.
For more song or album recommendations, contact me via my Instagram, Tiktok, or email, which can all be found on my Contact page. recommendations are always appreciated, and I can keep you anonymous, or shout you out.
Next on Recs & Ratings is...
Erin Lecount's 'I am Digital, I am Divine'
Keep your eye out for this symbol :
•၊၊||၊|။||||။၊|•
love from eden xoxo


No comments:
Post a Comment